Tuesday 24 January 2012

A bit of background

This is all on my G+ profile but for those who haven't read it, this is an abridged version of what I've been up to until now.
I have been a commissioned portrait artist for the last 9 years. My style has been realist, attention to detail having always been my strong point.
After a series of unfortunate events at the beginning of last year I went to see a well respected psychic to see if I could find some direction for my future. (Not usually my thing but I was desperate for some answers). She told me that the work I was doing with my portraits was "bread and butter" stuff but it was not my true calling. She suggested I try working more creatively and that if I could do so that it would be this new style of work that would make my name in the art world and that within the next 8 years I would be Internationally known and travelling Worldwide with my work.
I'm skeptical but, well, who am I to argue with destiny? :-D
I recently held a local solo exhibition with the theme The Girl in the Red Dress. My work was, to my surprise and delight, very well accepted and I sold many more pieces than my last "straight laced" exhibition. The Girl in the Red Dress was a product of my subconscious, totally different from anything I'd ever done before. I sat at my easel one night around midnight in front of a blank piece of paper and there she was. After posting her on Facebook and receiving a positive response I continued the theme. Some paintings seem to be based around well known fairytales but all have a deeper meaning to me and can be considered as my story. I believe that these images can be related to in many peoples realms of experience, depicting life's ups and downs, triumphs and trials, with a few "off the wall" ones thrown in for good measure.
Life for me has since taken a huge turn for the better and I'm very grateful for my own steadfast resolve to never let the bastards grind me down and also for the opportunities I have been given to pick myself up, dust myself off and grab the bull by the short and curlies! (I love to mix my metaphors) I'm grateful for the wonderful people in my life. Above all, my boy, my man, the man's boy, 2 cats and a squirrel (chihuahua), not to forget a plethora of valued true friends. Life is good, but should the need ever arise again, I'll be ready for the curve balls.

No comments:

Post a Comment