Saturday 28 January 2012

Time for a cull

I'm going out tonight. Dinner with great friends at their house. I'm looking forward to it. I shall wear a skirt in honour of the occasion because I don't go out much and opportunities for femininity are few and far between these days. A dress would be too much, jeans would be adequate but I insist on wearing a skirt.

I realise that I have a wardrobe chock full of clothes that I will more than likely never wear again so it is time to take stock and clear out. For a start, I have at least half a dozen ball dresses. They are beautiful, they were expensive but they are now surplus to requirements. I have dozens of skimpy, glitzy tops that one simply cannot get away with at 37 despite still having the same figure, for the most part, that I had in my 20s. Gone are the days of heading out on the town for a boogie dolled up to the nines.

Don't get me wrong, I still love to dance. I'm one of these people that doesn't even need to have a drink inside me to bust some moves on the dancefloor and with the lighting the way it is in these places, wearing a foxy dress and some slap, no one can tell that I should really be at home in front of the TV with my cup of Horlicks and my one big slipper. However the lure of clubbing has waned and I realise that my options for dressing up are now limited to the odd dinner party and special occasion meal out. I wrack my brains to think of an activity I could adopt that would allow me this pleasure more frequently but there is nothing.

As I work from home and don't really interact with the public often there isn't even a reason to dress smartly on a daily basis. Despite this fact, I only have 3 pairs of jeans, a handful of T-shirts and a couple of jumpers which means I inevitably end up wearing the same clothes day after day. In fairness there is no room at present for a more casual wardrobe as there are too many shiny clothes taking up valuable space. Hence the desperate need to pare down my existence further. I may even have to tackle the shoe collection, although it brings me out in hives just thinking about it.

On a side note, 'the man' has 13 pairs of jeans and still ends up wearing tracksuit bottoms most of the time!

Rest assured though folks, I will be keeping the red dress!

1 comment:

  1. The shoes? The SHOES?!?! Have you gone completely mad? (Having five sisters I know the importance of shoes to The Ladeeeez, you see). I have three...three pairs, that is, as three shoes would be pretty useless. Decimate the wardrobe with impunity but surely the shoe cull can wait....

    ReplyDelete