Saturday 4 February 2012

Things that go buzz in the night!

Just got tucked up in bed last night and rolled over to put out the light. The bed squeaks a little louder than usual so I bounce a bit and complain that we need a new bed. The Man suggests WD40 so I say we need to tighten the screws. I put the light out and roll back and a persistant buzz/screeching sound ensues. I put the light back on and wonder if something in the 'interesting' box under the bed has sparked into life. Nope, nothing in there! I jump out of bed and crouch down to try and find the source. The Man's face is a picture, it's a look of sheer panic and I'm starting to feel a little nervous about what I'm going to find under the bed. Is there some half dead screeching wild animal under there? You'll understand that concern when you hear the noise it makes on the video!

I haul a number of things out and the sound gets louder. Man is looking seriously concerned now, he thinks one of the electrical sockets has gone into meltdown. I find the source and erupt into fits of giggles as I'm trying to simultaneously explain what it is whilst trying to unhook it from the junk under the bed. I can't find the words. "it's a, you know, thing that's made of wire that you're not to touch, erm, a wiggly thing with a stick, you know, you've got to have a steady hand!"

Eventually, I free it from it's position and pull it out. It's one of the Boy's toys. A wiggly wire with a metal hook that buzzes if you touch it, you have to make it from one end to the other without touching the wire or it buzzes. I still don't know the name for it. The Man asks why it's still got the batteries in (they're screwed in, that's why) but he doesn't think to ask why it's under the bed in the first place.

It's not actually that unusual a find when you consider what else is under the bed at present:
an electric blanket, 2 electric fans (I live in the North of Scotland, even at the height of Summer there is little need for one electric fan let alone two!), an 'interesting' shoe box, a riding crop (I swear that was for a fancy dress party!!), a life-size self portrait that the Boy did at school plus a poster size family tree rolled up in a tube, a lion glove puppet, a chewed pencil, the strap for an electric guitar (I don't even have one anymore), a box of wigs, some Summer clothes, an empty shoe box just waiting for some 'interesting' stuff, a witches hat and two copies of New Scientist! Ta da!!

P.S. The cuddly toy lives on top of the bed.

See video here Things that go bump in the night!

1 comment:

  1. Are you certain it's the Boy's toy and not some heinous device formerly used by the Gestapo to glean information???....Goddamit, it made my skin crawl worse than fingernails across a chalk-board!!! ¦-S

    ReplyDelete