Friday 3 February 2012

Activities for the slightly unhinged

"When I grow up I want to be a Page 3 girl", I told my primary school teacher at age 7! As I got older I did do some photographic and catwalk modelling but none of it topless, I hasten to add.

I have since had a wildly varied career. I've been a waitress in a pizza parlour, a barmaid in The Conservative Club (not necessarily reflecting any political persuasion), I've been a chauffeur, a croupier, a graphic designer, an illustrator, I've worked in a video store, I've typeset ads for a local newspaper, I've sold wine, been a sales assistant in a plus size clothes boutique, managed an art shop, been a secretary for a chain of gift shops, been a bought ledger clerk for a brewery, been the national property administrator for Autoglass, worked as an office manager for a charity that supports a children's community in Russia and been a Mexican wrestler named Juanita Fajita (just kidding about that last bit.... or am I?).

For the past 9 or so years I've worked for myself and truth be told it can get a bit boring. Unless I'm doing an art demo, teaching a workshop or attending a craft fair, I rarely see my customers or anyone else for that matter. I squirrel myself away in my workroom and lose the outside world. It becomes an ordeal to leave the house after a while so I like to get all my outside chores done in one go if at all possible. I'm always surprised and more than a little unnerved if my doorbell rings and it's past the usual time that the post comes.

All my friends live too far away for an impromptu cuppa so I can end up going a little stir crazy from time to time and despite having lived in this town for over 5 years now, I still don't know anyone here. This is more than likely because I don't leave the house.

I need to do something about this. Granted I do have work to do that will require me to be in the house in order to do it but in between these times I need to get out more. There are no clubs that I fancy attending, I'm not a gym bunny by any stretch and my boy's too old for mother and toddler groups. So what can I do?

I'm seriously, and I mean seriously, considering starting my own club. I just haven't quite worked out what yet. It's no good starting an art club, there are loads of them around and it would end up being a busmen's holiday for me so I need to come up with something totally different. I shall ponder on but if any of you have some off the wall suggestions, do fire away. I'm looking for inspiration.

1 comment:

  1. How about a poets' self-defence club?...you could call it 'Karate Diem'...

    ReplyDelete