Thursday 26 January 2012

Contemplating The Climb

When I was born (in Hong Kong) the nurse asked my name and when my mother told her it was Alanda she said that it sounded like the name of someone who could be famous. Well, after 37 years, I’ve only just got the incentive to try :-D.

I was drawing and painting from an early age and always knew I wanted to work in an arty field. I studied as a graphic designer and then worked as an illustrator for a while. I married young and moved many times with my husband’s job, always having to get admin jobs to make ends meet. When my son was born in 2002 I took up painting with pastels as a hobby and started painting portraits for family and friends. As my confidence grew I set myself up in business. After several moves and starting from scratch every time, I finally settled where I am now and have been building a reputation locally for teaching and portrait commissions. I have been separated from my husband for a while now awaiting divorce and have since met The Man I believe I'm meant to be with. 
When a well respected psychic told me that if I threw myself into more creative artwork I might finally make a name for myself and do very well at it, I decided to do just that. So here I am, throwing myself into the weird and wonderful in a totally different style, putting myself out there, as it were, in the world of social media, something I actively shied away from in the past. I have been hugely inspired to see the vast array of incredibly talented artists out there but sometimes it makes me feel quite daunted and more than a little small and insignificant. Often lacking in confidence, I still try to keep the faith that one day it will be my time to shine.

2 comments:

  1. I must say, there is something I like about your work, more as a collection rather than individual pieces. And I'm not really big into art or anything. I think in particular, it's the concept of weaving the girl in the red dress into simple situations in interesting and unique ways that i like.

    As far as individual pieces go though, I think the above is my favourite.

    Anyway, I wish you the best with your work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gavin, I appreciate your comment :-)

      Delete